The San Diego Division holds monthly events every 2nd Saturday. These include quarterly Meets (February, May, August, November) which may include Clinics, Contests, Show & Tell, auctions, swap meets, Bingo for Trains and food. Typically there is a Swap Meet and BBQ at our Summer Meet. On the off months a Layout Tour, open house style, is offered.
Currently, due to Covid-19 restrictions, the Division is offering virtual events in leu of our regular activities. We will update this web page as each event date approaches.
Past 2020 Events (Pacific Standard Time - PST)
- January 11, 2020, 12:00 noon - 3:00 p.m.: HO/HOn3 scale Dead Rail multi-deck layout tour. The batteries were typically located in a piece of rolling stock, coal tender or another adjacent locomotive. Uses DCC over radio control.
- February 8, 2020, Saturday, 11:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.: Winter Meet. Included a pot luck with lots of food, an auction, Show and Tell and a Clinic.
- March 14, 2020, Saturday, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.: S-Gaugers layout tour. Typically use DCC and AC on their layout. They can also use DC and TMCC power sources on their layout.
- April 11, 2020: Meet cancelled.
- May 23, 2020, Saturday, 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.: Zoom Spring Meet.
- June 13, 2020, Saturday, 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.: Zoom Meet. Included Show & Tell, and there were several Clinics (with questions and answers for each clinic). The Zoom Meet went very well.
Upcoming 2020 Events (Pacific Standard Time - PST)
- July 11, 2020, Saturday, 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.: Zoom Meet. The Meet includes Show and Tell, a Layout Tour by "Shotgun Tom" Kelly and a Weathering Clinic by Pete Steinmetz. Each segment will run for about 30 minutes.
- Show and Tell: The Show and Tell portion will be presented by several members of our Division, each sharing a two to three minute presentation showing a model railroading technique or project.
- Layout Tour: The layout tour will feature Los Angeles and San Diego radio personality, "Shotgun Tom" Kelly and his HO scale model railroad. His beautiful layout can be electrically lowered from the ceiling onto the pool table that it rests on.
- Weathering Clinic: Pete has given this weathering clinic over the years and it is still popular because this clinic is for both new and advanced modelers. Each presentation is a little different each time because new materials become available and techniques improve.
- August 8, 2020, Saturday, 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.: Zoom Summer Meet. Will include Show and Tell, Clinics, a Layout Tour and more.
- September 12, 2020, Saturday, 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.: Zoom Meet.
- October 10, 2020, Saturday: Meet to be determined.
- November 14, 2020, Saturday: Fall Meet.
- December 12, 2020, Saturday: Meet to be determined.
We do not have a physical office, permanent meeting room or layout. Each month, we meet at various locations throughout San Diego County.